Allen Temple is a member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the first independent Protestant denomination to be founded by black people in America. To find out more about our history, doctrine, and structure click the link below to go to our denominational website.
Rev. J. B. Cooper, II, M.Div.
Sis. Anjeanetta S. Cooper, Ed.S.
Rev. Izora Lynn
Allen Temple was founded in 1908. The first worship service was held in the open air on the private property of Mr. Wash Tolbert, located near the vicinity of the intersection of Lawyers Lane and Ninth Street. Eventually, a small brush arbor mission was built near the location of the present church. Under the leadership of Rev. Mack Williams, a one room wooden building was erected at this location. In 1911, under the leadership of Rev. M. L. Flemming, a large wooden structure was erected on the corner of Ninth Street and Washington Avenue. That structure remained until 1945.
The membership continued to grow under the leadership of many pastors. The growth of membership and financial resources gave birth to different departments and organizations in the church. The Sunday School was organized as the major training agency of the church for membership, leadership and Christian education. Other youth organizations were formed such as the Junior and Male Choir, YPD and in 1968 the Richard Allen Youth Council. During the summer, Vacation Bible School was added to Christian Training.
In 2008, under the leadership of Rev. Wayland Conner, our current structure was built. On June 3, 2018, the Rev. Jeffery B. Cooper, II delivered his first sermon as pastor of Allen Temple A.M.E. Church.
Copyright © 2021 Allen Temple A.M.E. Church - All Rights Reserved.
848 Washington Ave, | Columbus, GA | 31906